Want to share devices, products, or supplements? Help us understand why you like it. Explain what it does & how it works for you.
Want to market stuff here? Feel free ... just use AdSense, not comments. That really will help!

Friday, September 25, 2009

Canna bliss: a mixed blessing

P. gave me a discount card for medical marijuana evaluation, which brought the cost from $150 to $80. C. had a windfall, which she decided to share with me, and that made it possible for me to get the evaluation.

I totally lucked out on my first visit to the dispensary. I got something that smelled flowery and pleasant, I figured out how to consume it without killing the active components (which is way too easy to do, as they are highly volatile), and it took away 90% of the pain and totally stilled the constant running current of anxiety and trepidation (something to do with having no idea how I will pay next month's slip fee, or where I will go now that I'm being kicked out of this marina, or whether this next bus trip is the one where I stop being lucky and the inevitable crazy-violent-passenger actually does hit me, or whether my boat's windows will make it through the winter, or whether my older brother will ever be able to bring himself to be human towards me again.). Truly, you don't know what you've got till it's gone, and I didn't miss that river of fear one bit.

Moreover, it was much easier to think clearly, follow directions, make decisions, and hold more than one thing in my head at a time -- sometimes as many as two or three! (I'll take what I can get.)

What does it say about the profound neurological impact of complex regional pain syndrome that I am much less f'ked up when I'm high?

So that's the upside. The downside is that I have some emotional crap around marijuana, and I didn't realize how profoundly it affected me until I had to reach for it to get the relief that nothing else could bring.

I lived for four years with a pothead I had fallen very much in love with. When the chips were down, though, the pot was more important than me. I hardly ever got to see the person I was in love with, and it takes two to have a relationship.

Moreover, I don't like medication. I liked the brain I had, the clarity I had -- and am still occasionally capable of. I hate messing with the works.

This is too damn bad, because the works have unquestionably been messed with. Each time I add to my pharmacopeia, I go through this same inward drama. So there's nothing new there.

The interesting thing is that I'm running into some deep, old programming that marijuana is for losers. Well, there are quite a few things I would like to lose: all that needless fear, a whole lot of pain, and 40 or 50 pounds of extra weight. I'd love to be that kind of loser. (Most of the strains I've tried don't make me more interested in food.)

So maybe it's not about contradicting that old programming, but of turning it on its head: I can either say, "marijuana is not more important than me," or I can say, "marijuana gives something back to me, and that's important."

Rather than trying to hypnotize myself into believing that, "marijuana is also for people who are not losers," I can stick with that idea that, "marijuana makes me lose all kinds of crap. Hallelujah!"

I like that. It's clever, and creates a way forward. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for your comment!

Want to share a device, supplement, or service? Discuss its why & how, even if you think you don't understand it. We want this to seem like a sensible discussion rather than a snake-oil forum. Seem fair?

So tell us what's on your mind ...